Chicken Fried Chicken with Homemade Gravy
We’ll show you how to make this delicious buttermilk crispy chicken fried chicken recipe, plus the best homemade gravy recipe we jokingly call “Crack Gravy” because it’s so addicting, you’ll want to put it on everything you eat… It’s that good!!! Jen’s Aunt Jerry shared this amazing gravy recipe with us…and you’re going to absolutely love it!
3 – 4 Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breasts
(sliced in half horizontally and pounded)
2½ Cups All-Purpose Flour
1 Tsp. Salt
1 Tsp. Pepper
1 Tsp. Paprika
1 Tsp. Garlic Powder
1 Cup Whole Buttermilk
Vegetable Oil (for frying)
8 Tbsp. Oil/Pan Drippings
½ Cup All-Purpose Flour
½ Tsp. Salt
½ Tsp. Pepper
1 12oz. Can Evaporated Milk
2 Tsp. Granulated Chicken Bouillon
(dissolve in ¼ cup of hot water)
1 16oz Bottle of Water
- Place chicken breast on a cutting board and slice each piece in half horizontally. Then place the chicken pieces between 2 sheets of parchment paper. Use the flat side of a meat mallet and gently pound until the pieces are even in thickness (about ¼ to ½ inch thick).
- For the chicken you will need 2 shallow bowls for the wet and dry mixture you will be coating them with. In bowl #1, whisk together the 1½ cups flour, and 1 tsp. each of salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder. In bowl #2, whisk together the eggs and buttermilk.
- Dip the chicken pieces in the egg/buttermilk mixture, then dredge in the flour mixture. Repeat this step one more time, then lay the pieces on a rack and let them rest for about 10 minutes.
- In a frying pan on medium heat, pour in vegetable oil (about ¼ inch deep) and bring to 350 degrees.
- Fry the chicken until golden brown on both sides, then place them on a rack while making the gravy.
To make the gravy:
- In a small bowl whisk together ½ cup flour and ½ tsp. each of salt and pepper.
- In a separate small bowl, mix the 2 tsp. of granulated chicken bouillon and ¼ cup of hot water.
- Keep about 8 tablespoons of the oil/pan drippings in the frying pan and turn the heat to medium. Then whisk the flour mixture into the oil/pan drippings and cook the flour for about 2 – 3 minutes, whisking constantly. Then slowly add the evaporated milk, granulated chicken bouillon, and water, and continue to whisk and simmer for about 3 minutes. Once the gravy thickens, season with salt and pepper to taste.