- 1 Pie Crust (ready to bake)
- 1 ¼ Cups Sugar
- ¼ Cup Self Rising Flour
- 4 Eggs (divided: 3 yolks, 4 whites)
- 2 Cups Milk
- ½ Stick Butter
- 2 Cups Sweetened Shredded Coconut (divided)
- 2 Tsp. Vanilla
- ¼ Tsp. Cream of Tartar
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Poke the bottom of the pie crust with a fork so that it does not bubble up and then bake it in the oven for 8-10 min. (depending on your oven) to lightly brown the crust. Remove it from the oven and let it cool.
3. In two bowls, separate 3 eggs placing the yolks in one bowl and the egg whites in another. Place the bowl with the egg whites aside. Then in the bowl with the egg yolks add, 1 cup of sugar, and flour then mix.
4. Stir in the milk a little at a time until it is mixed then add butter. Microwave the bowl for 5-6 minutes to melt the butter, stirring every couple of minutes until it’s completely mixed. Remove the bowl from the microwave and stir in 1 cup or more of coconut and a tsp. of vanilla. Pour the mixture into the pie crust.
Making the Meringue:
5. In the bowl with the egg whites, add one more egg white and whip the egg whites with an electric mixer on high until they form soft peaks.
6. Then turn speed down to low and add ¼ cup of sugar, cream of tartar and 1 tsp. of vanilla and continue to beat until the egg whites form stiff peaks.
7. Top the pie with the meringue, gently spoon and spread over the pie to the edge of the crust and sprinkle with coconut.
8. Place it in the oven and bake at 400 degrees for 2-4 minutes or until it starts to turn golden brown.