If you love Italian food like we do, you are going to love this Stuffed Pasta Shells and Sausage recipe! Stuffed with Ricotta, Spinach and Romano Parmesan cheese. Every bite is bursting with flavor and so good!
- 1 Box Jumbo Pasta Shells (about 16 shells)
- 1 Mild Italian Sausage Links
- 4 Cups Marinara Sauce
- 1 Medium Onion (chopped)
- 1 Cup Spinach (chopped)
- 1 Tub Ricotta Cheese
- 1 Minced Garlic
- 1 Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 Cup Grated Romano Parmesan Cheese (divided)
- 4 oz. of Cream Cheese (softened)
- 2 Eggs (lightly beaten)
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh Parsley (finely chopped)
- ½ Tsp. Basil
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- Olive Oil
- Nonstick Cooking Spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil on medium heat. Then add the jumbo pasta shells and 1 tsp. of salt, and boil uncovered (stirring occasionally) until al dente. Drain and rinse the pasta shells in cold water and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper to finish cooling.
- In a skillet on medium heat, add a little olive oil and the Italian sausage links. Then brown Italian sausage on one side, then turn the links over and pierce them with a fork. Continue cooking them until the other side is browned, but not fully cooked. Transfer them to a plate, and set aside.
- In the same skillet, sauté the onions in the sausage drippings until tender, then add the spinach and sauté until it wilts. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add ricotta cheese, sauteed onions and spinach, ½ cup romano parmesan cheese, cream cheese, egg, parsley, and minced garlic. Stir until well combined.
- In a 9 x 13 casserole dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray (or greased with some olive oil), add several spoonful’s of the marinara sauce and spread it evenly (just enough to lightly coat the bottom of the baking dish).
- Spoon the ricotta cheese mixture into the pasta shells and place them in the baking dish along with the partially cooked Italian sausage (sliced in half). Then pour the remaining marinara sauce evenly over the stuffed pasta shells and sausage. Top with the mozzarella cheese, sprinkle with a little romano parmesan grated cheese and fresh chopped basil.
- Cover with parchment paper (to keep the cheese from sticking), then foil, and bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Then remove the foil and parchment paper and continue to bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Serve with garlic bread and enjoy!